Honestly, we don't know when the dollar collapse will occur, but we do know it will. There are a few things that you can do now to prepare that will give you a leg up on everyone else in your community. If we assume that we are just two weeks from the collapse, that's fourteen days and 336 hours to prepare. What's first?
1. Buy non-perishable foods. Canned meats, pastas and more. If you have a dehydrator, or even just an oven you can make your own beef jerky, dried meats last longer. If you don't have either, you can use salt to preserve meats or slow smoke meats in a grill or converted metal trash can. EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO PUT OFF ANOTHER BILL OR MAKE PAYMENT ARRANGEMENTS, make sure you spend the money at the grocery store or warehouse club, have at least three months of food. (Don't forget your pets too.)
2. Store water. Just for drinking, you will need two quarts of water per day per person. If you add washing, etc to that make it two gallons per day per person. During the currency collapse in Argentina, even the tap water turned bad when the water maintenance crews were out trying to survive like everyone else. You need a minimum of three months worth of water. If you can't afford it now, trying using the tap water to fill every jug and two liter container you have. One drop of bleach per gallon will keep the water free of bacteria for a long time. Just boil it before you drink it or cook with it.
3. Bug Out Plan. If you live in the city you need to have some idea of where to go. Follow the directions on the bug out video on my You Tube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/DavidStevenRoberts?feature=mhum
4. Keep in Contact. You never know if all of our friends here together will meet up one day. Use what little bit of the MSM list you have to let at least someone know what is going on in your area. Buy a cheap HAM radio, a police scanner and a transmitter, if you can. Listen in on what is going on.
5. Buy more ammo than you ever think you will need. Believe me, you are going to need it.
6. Get your extended family to safety. Retired parents, grandparents, children, and grandchildren. Bring them to you.
7. Plant that garden or build that greenhouse. (hoop houses can be built for under $100)
8. Buy those chickens or rabbits, no one is going to give a damn about HOA rules and regulations anymore.
9. Get those nets, fishing poles and crab traps in working order. There is always fish to be caught.
10. Have ALL of this information downloaded to your computer in case of Internet shutdown.
Being Prepared is a double edged sword. You'll have what you need, or at least the start of it. But you'll be a target because Obama isn't building these dissenter lists like firstname.lastname@example.org and attackwatch.com for no reason you know.